Friday, December 28, 2007

A Bit of Pixie Dust

I for one and not the biggest fan of the Christmas season. It has always baffled me why people, including myself, would feel so much pressure to buy stuff just for the sake of buying stuff. "What did you get?" is a question I dread to hear after Christmas, but find myself asking all the same. What is it with this season?! Perhaps asking "What did you get?" is just another way of saying "Merry Christmas. Hope you had a good vacation away from this black hole you call work" Ha!

This season was different. This season helped me remember the excitement of giving in the very act of receiving. I was truly humbled and amazed as we had our very own Pixie (Elf just isn't as fun to say when you're 2 or 3). It all started just over 2 weeks before Christmas when I was at school and got a phone call from my sweet wife: "Weeee have a Pixie! A good one too!" Boy, was it an awesome 12 Days of Christmas. Every morning our kids would wake up and say, "Dad! Let's go see if the Pixie came!!!" The Pixie left everything from santa hats to stuffed animals to flowers, to movies and a night out on the town. That Pixie spent more money on us during those 12 days than we spent on our entire Christmas for our family. Or, at least it sure seemed like it. Whew! It was so cool that I even got excited :-)

Hopefully this next Christmas we'll be in a position to return the favor to someone else and spread the Pixie dust a little.

Thank You, Pixie

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Pixie does sound better than Elf. That's really cool. And, I can honestly say I don't know anything about this. I bet it's your neighbors, those sneaky guys.

Zack said...

That. Sounds. Awesome.
Despite not decorating the tree we had in our living room for a month or so, and not wrapping anything until after Santa had already visited most of the children in the area, I too felt an increased Christmas spirit this season. Maybe it was that Carrie and I made Christmas less stressful for each other. Maybe it was going to Savior of the World And following that up with a great Sacrament meeting the next morning. I don't know, but I'm grateful for it.
If you figure our who your Pixie was Mikey, give a "High Five for Pixie's" for me.