Tuesday, December 30, 2008

These Things I Have Learnded

So last night I got to thinking that my life's about to change - a lot. Why? you might ask. Well, in 8 short weeks I will finish up what started as a desire to play my trumpet and take meaningless "generals" and what ended up being nearly a decade of 'formal' education. If you knew me as a kid then you'd be floored that I even went to college - let alone graduate school. It definately wasn't in MY plans. I also wasn't going to be an accountant. NO WAY would I do that.



It's all Jodie and I have known throughout our entire lives together. The safe, secure, predictable blanket of Weber State has always been a part of our family. We've never NOT known school. So the thought of being "free" to do whatever we want to do is really something new to me. What do we do? Where do we go? What next? - All tough questions.... any suggestions?



I decided to list the top 10 things I learned from my edumacation. I'll try to put them in order of importance, but the list is subject to change.



10) Signing up for classes as a freshman or sophmore is half the battle; especially when your last name starts with "Y"



9) It's pretty fun to take a test on the proper way to score a game of bowling when sitting next to some guy busting his brains out on a chemistry test. (glad I'm not THAT guy!) Bowling gives you 3 phys. ed. credits and Running gives you 3 phys. ed. credits. Hmmmm. Tough choice.



8) Playing in the marching band takes up a ton of time. I figured that it's the equivalent of being paid aboooouuuut $2.50 an hour. No Shanks.



7) They give you donuts in your first business class to get you hooked. It's all business after that.



6) Working in Excel is not acceptable - because everyone knows that real professionals use calculators on important stuff.



5) Rounding to 6 digits is not only required, it's essential in helping the earth stay in orbit.



4) Professors who teach Statistics are those who majored in it and then looked for jobs - only to realize that all they could do was jot down every meaningless action taken by an athlete during a game, or teach stats to someone else. (no offense to Dan Jones and his totally unstatistical polls)



3) An equation is only as good as it's inputs. Garbage in - Garbage out.



2) The economy in general is based on expectations and perception - not reality. (really)



1) Those who can't 'do', teach!

Oh ya - apparently my blood is purple. Eat THAT science. You thought it was either blue or red, depending on its oxygen content. Wrong you are. Apparently you missed out in PRE-school when you were taught that you could MIX colors. These things I know.

Who up for another degree? Ph.D? J.D.? M.D.? A.E.I.O.U.? And sometimes Y?

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Wow - about a decade of school and you came up with a list of 10 things?!! I must have a LONG way to go... I think I could only come up with maybe 5 things I've learned. I'm sure you'll find plenty to do after graduating. Thats like getting released from prison (not that theres anything wrong with prison)...but what are you going to do first?

Mike said...

It is a lot like prison, except I have to pay my own way, the food in the cafeteria is crappy, I don't get chauferred transportation, and the only channel they show on the televisions is some kooky business channel. And I didn't even get to lift weights for fun.

Carrie said...

I should have stayed in school longer because I didn't learn any of that stuff. And nobody gave us donuts either. I guess they figured I'd get donuts (or cupcakes) roughly 25 times a year being a teacher and so I didn't need any in college.
As for what to do after school, I say pay off student loans! Yea! (ahem) I mean, maybe you should go to Di'neyland. And also have a party. Or something. We'll bring the cookies.

Unknown said...

I learned a lot from the things you learned. Like, I'm glad I never took a business class. If I knew they gave out donuts on the first day I would have. I'm with you on stats classes. I'm convinced they will be in my version of hell along with watching Americas Funniest Home Videos.
Anyway, congrats on making it through a decade of school.
But most importantly when's the party? When Chris got his Masters he threw a party and he even had an enflatable castle with a slide. Pretty impressive...can't wait to see what you do:)

Melbell said...

I have very little to relate with you regarding higher education :( BUT I am glad that all that schooing hasn't affected your ability to reflect. Great 10 things. Oh, and if there is an inflatable castle with slide..I sooo better be invited.

Unknown said...

Opps I just noticed my spelling mistakes. Please ignore them.