Friday, June 12, 2009

44 cents

The nicest thing happened to me yesterday. A lady gave me 44 cents. I know, I know - I can hear it now "wow, Mike - 44 cents. Perhaps it's time you increased your expectations juuuuust a little bit." Believe me, my expectations are high (abnormally high). I don't need any help in that department.

Lemme splain:
Yesterday after work I headed off to the post office to mail a letter. Just one letter. Nothing huge. After going back and forth - and back and forth - trying to decide whether or not it was worth it to wait for 15 people in line (at the 'Reno 911' of post offices) I gave in and took my place. After standing there for about 3 minutes I had a thought come over me "hmm, I bet I can buy a whole BOOK of stamps at that machine around the corner - see ya later, chumps!" Juuust as I was getting out of line, one of the nicest ladies in the world stopped me and said "are you just mailing that ONE letter?! All you want is ONE stamp?!" - "uh, ya" - "Well, here ya go." Then she proceeds to fish through her purse, pull out a book of Simpson stamps, and peel off a Homer. WOW! I know it might sound lame, but that totally made my day.

Even if I had the stamps, and was in her position, I don't think I'd have the guts to approach a scary lookin guy and offer him a stamp. Not sure why though. Just cuz. I'm heartless I guess - either that or just scared. So, the next time you see old Homer's face - don't picture him choking his son (all in good humor, of course) picture a nice lady making my day.


6 comments:

Jenn said...

I have had that same thought. When someone does something nice for me, I immediately question myself, and wonder if I would have done the same thing. People need to be more giving like that- I need to be more giving like that!!

Carrie said...

Aw, what a nice lady.
Next time I'm in a situation like that I'll try and be brave like her and approach the scary looking guy who would benefit from my service.

Carrie said...

Wait a minute... 44 cents!? Is that how much stamps cost now!?!

Mike said...

44 big ones. Crazy huh? I remember 32 big ones. Back in the day when we used to call nickels "bees" - gimme 5 bees for a quarter, we used to say.

Melbell said...

Love it, Love it, Love it :)

Unknown said...

First of all I don't think you look that scary. But I'm really lame when it comes to things like this. I would never approach someone else. I'm too scared I'll bother them. So I loved this story. It was good to be reminded that it's not hard to do a good deed.